search

 

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

The fundamentals of throwing a baseball

After hours of scrounging around on the internet, I have still not been able to find a quality guide to the fundamentals of throwing a baseball. When I was younger, I read one on the mechanics of a perfect jumpshot, and it dramaticaly improved my performance. However, I should say it in no way made me a skill basketball player, it did improve my jumpshot by leaps and bounds. After many years I have forgotten where I read it, it may have been popular mechanics or science or something. I have now decided to write one myself using my own experience as my guide. Hopefully, this will be easy to understand and help anyone who wants to learn the fundamentals of a correct throw.

Items you need:
1 Baseball

Fundamentals of a throw (baseball)
Step 1: Determine a target. Your target should be one that is about 20 feet away and approxamatly chest height. Throwing at a target is advised for two reasons: First, you have a good way to guage progress, and second to help with focus.

Step 2: Hold the ball in your throwing hand. The correct way to hold the ball is with your fingers, not against the palm. Two or three fingers on the top and thumb underneath the ball . All other fingers should be closed in a light fist. The ball should be held securely, not in a death grip nor too loosely.

Step 3: Stand and face your target squarely (feet and shoulders should be facing the target.) Turn your body one quarter turn in the direction of your throwing arm.

Step 4: Turn your non-throwing foot and head so that they face the target.

Step 5: Point at the target using your non-throwing arm. Position your throwing arm so it is slightly bent just behind your waist with your thumb in the direction of the target.

Step 6: Begin to move the ball from your waist to about eye level (in a comfortable circular motion) The ball should move away from the target at the begining. Shift your weight to follow the ball. Your wrist should bend naturally allowing for aluid movement.

Step 7: As the ball reaches eye level your back heel should rotate until your back foot is pointing directly at your target. Your non-throwing arm should also begin being pulled into your body.

Step 8: Relax your grip on the ball, and continue the motion until your are pointing at the target.
The intent of this guide is to help explain the motions of a correct throw.
This guide is not intended to replace a real coach or to be used as an end all be all training guide. I am not liable for any injuries or damage as a result of using this guide.

2 comments:

Excel Youth Sports Brand said...

Great, Great, Great instructions. Years ago I developed a product for basketball- "proper grip" that is now being prepared to use for baseball. Your instructions further validate my research and the product.

Anonymous said...

Quogunsully
[url=http://healthplusrx.com/depression]depression[/url]
zifyinefluedy