search

 

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Twitter. What?

Twitter is a microblogging utility that lets you share little bits of information about whatever you want. Period.

I have been using it for a few months now and I have found it to be one of the easiest ways to keep informed and to de-stress. Twitter doesn't want a lengthy blog post or even something that has been researched and proofread. It wants to know one thing "What are you doing?" at least that is how it started. Now you can have conversations, polls, links, and opinions on virtually any topic that interests you. So you like underwater kniting of three toed socks, big deal someone will probably be interested in what you are doing. Or you might see someone who posts about the inner workings of lawn gnomes. Its all about you. It doesn't matter what when who or how, as long as its shorter than 140 characters.

Why 140? Too be honest I have no clue but it helps get to the meat real quick, no extranious words or flowery sentence structures. Its more of a get to the point quickly application. Twitter also lets you peruse alot at one time without getting too involved. For example say I like robots, linux, gardening, stocks, and music. Now where would I go to find out about all these things in one place? Twitter, I just choose to follow people who like gardening and some who like robots and some who like the same kind of music. Then anything they come across in any of those fields they share and I get to see what they do. I also get to know them a little better and they feel more like a person to me not just a website that wants to make money.
In effect I get to read about others who have the same interests I do, learn about different parts of the world, learn about people whom I have never met (and maybe become friends), read about things that interest me (from places that I may have never looked), get introduced to related topics and unrelated that I might possibly enjoy, all in 140 characters or less which takes about 10 seconds to write.

1 comment:

Bruce Stockwell said...

Why 140? It's all about SMS. SMS can handle up to 160 characters, but some carriers only implemented 140. Twitter sticks with the lowest common denominator in this case.