search

 

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

My New Livingroom

Last month, I got my very first flat panel flat screen tv.
It is a Phillips 42" w/ Ambilight 2. I decided to go with a 42" because of the layout of my livingroom (its positioned about 8ft away from the couch). A few things I have figured out since buying it:

1.) It does not have VGA or DVI inputs (so connecting a Home theater PC: htpc: is a
bit more difficult.
2.) Three HDMI ports are easy to fill once you get them.
3.) Some older technologies don't look good on a big screen. (i.e Laserdisc)
4.) Ambilight is cool but sometimes you want it off. (video games, horror)
5.) A flatscreen tv can make a room appear larger than what it is, so even if you have a
small room, it could still work well.

Now I know someone is going to say LaserDisc, WTF? Well, I got it from my grandpa, and it looked good on an old analog tv, so I figured why not. My mistake.

After I got the tv I found I needed to get a few more things to make it feel a bit more comfortable in its new surroundings. WalMart had just what I needed.
Summit mountain TV stand and Summit mountain audio pier










After a few hours of putting it all together, my 42" Philllips had a new home. Then I decided it needed neighbors. Out came the Xbox 360 and modded Xbox, the Ps2, the sony home theater system, and I bought a Ps3. After another few hours and wiring everything up. It was time to watch something wonderful it was a toss up between The Boondock Saints, Lord Of The Rings: Return Of The King, and Spiderman 3 (blu-ray it came prepackaged in the Ps3 and it was the only blu-ray movie owned at the time.) Right before I started the movie I realized I was still missing a few things one was a place to store DVDs and the other was a way to hook up a computer. I said screw it I'll do that after the movie. In the end, I watched Lord Of The Rings: Return Of The king, It was amazing. Movie theater experience!! At home, it was awesome.
After the movie I looked around and found
media tower: cherry
I still haven't gotten it, due to backorder, but hopefully soon.

I also bought a s-video cable and 3.5mm to rca adapter and an Adesso wireless keyboard w/ built in track ball to hook up my girlfriends laptop and it works well not extremely crisp but it works for general intertube surfing.
This has been one of the most satisfying experiences in a long time and it will be something me and my girfriend will enjoy for a long time to come.






*All pictures were used from the respective places where the items were purchased

No comments: