search

 

Monday, February 25, 2008

A bug robot

This weekend, I was a bit on the sick side, I got bored and decided to build a simple robot.
It is a very simple design that uses two motors for movement and two switches for inputs. When turned on it moves in a fairly straight line. However, when it comes into contact with an object, via the two switches located in the front, it causes one of the motors to change direction. This allows the little guy to move around a room, the only real problem is that chair legs and corners tend to cause it to get stuck.


I used a similar design to the ones shown here and here. But, I also did a bit of modifications of my own.
I purchased all the parts from radioshack and it costed less than Ten Dollars.

My girlfriends dogs hated it. But it was fun watching them run around attacking it. So, maybe they actually loved it.

2 comments:

Robert said...

Cool project. You've got me wanting to do something like this, now, so when BeTwittered bug-fixes stop coming..it's your fault :) Between this and the sensor that twitters some plants water needs "water me" I'm jonesing for a hardware hacking project.
Robert (twitter/meta_robert)

Robert said...

oops - the plant project I was referring to is on http://slashdot.org, and is at http://twitter.com/pathos
Robert