search

 

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

My view on politics

While following the political race for president of the United States, I have come to a conclusion. This conclusion stems from a few things I have noticed. First is that this race seems to be between Sen. Obama and Sen. Clinton. Granted Sen. McCain has all but sealed his fate his party’s nominee. Obama and Clinton seem to be the two the world is watching or at least America. Personally, I don’t really care which garners the nomination; this is kind of like the Olympics for me. I watch but don’t participate.

Why do I choose not to participate? I don’t feel that any candidate has touched on issues that affect me in a substantial way. Don’t get me wrong, health care for the elderly and the nation’s children, are important factors. I agree that education breaks and tax breaks for the middle class are also equally important. However, as a single person who barely classifies as middle class with friends and neighbors who also fall into the same category, I feel that we are an over looked demographic. As a member of this demographic I should note that we have a lot of interest in issues that are being debated and voted on that is marketed to married couples or those with children. As a whole we help drive the market in areas that others shy away from or have to skip due to budget constraints; areas that deal in entertainment, fashion, and consumer goods. This is not to say that as a group, single persons do not have money concerns, the opposite is true in fact. A single person will use more or the same gas, time, and money then their married counterparts. The reason for this is they are responsible for all aspects of their life. However, a single person will also spend money that will help drive our economy where as a married couple will try to save more for the future. They also don’t have someone who can take part of the responsibility. Most married couples, on the other hand, delegate responsibility, i.e. you take out the trash and I will wash the dishes.

With one swath of the generalization sword I can say most candidates have to reach the broadest category of voters, and married and elderly fit that bill to a tee, the single under thirty votes could be a source of untapped potential. Granted we are not consistent voters and there is no real way to gauge which way we will vote, it could very well go badly for any person who decides to bring in this demographic. I still say we are Americans and we are just as important as the middle class, the elderly, the poor, and the affluent.

No comments: